oh, KALE yes!
HI guys, missed you bunches! AND I have so much to fill you in on. But first things, first. Let's talk salads. You see, I have this thing about salads. This thing, as in, I’m completely crazy about them (and) I always have been.
Even when I really couldn’t understand anything not fried or smothered in cheese, I still loooooved salad.
And I bet we all know why! Right?! KALE. Say it with me K-A-L-E. Eat-Meet the MVP of all things green, leafy and FULL of health. Lots of health! I mean its the perfect meal for when you don't want summer to end.
Kale is as simple as it looks but definitely not as boring as it sounds, I swear. I accidentally on purpose incorporate kale into almost every meal. In fact, my sister walked in when I was making this simple recipe and was like… soooo it’s just salad?
Well, no. But yes. Kind of. don't kale my vibe.
Kale is a bitter green and the key to these greens is the wash and massage. I told y'all about showing your food love. Pro tip: to cover up the bitterness of kale try LOTS of spice. You can marinate kale in a mixture of adobo sauce some chipotle chili powder. A touch of olive oil, a spicy little massage (whoa now) and once it sits for 10 minutes? You’re golden.
Or green. either way, I still DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF.
Here's one of the simplest salads known to man:
KALE SALAD WITH BACON AND BLUE CHEESE
This Kale Salad w/ Bacon + Blue Cheese is quick and easy to make, packed with sweet and savory flavors, and bomb a f!
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 0 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 15 MINS
KALE SALAD INGREDIENTS:
- 6-7 cups chopped fresh kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 6-8 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 batch Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette (below)
RED WINE SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely-chopped
TO MAKE THE KALE SALAD:
- Toss all ingredients together until combined.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours before serving.
TO MAKE THE RED WINE SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE:
- Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl until completely combined. (Or you can toss everything in a mason jar and give it a good shake.) Stir in the shallot until combined. Taste, and season with extra salt and/or pepper and/or honey, if needed.
Serving size totally depends on whether this is your main course or a side salad. The serving size I mentioned is for smaller side salads.
Also, feel free to use more/less of the salad ingredients (i.e. bacon, blue cheese, pecans, cranberries) to taste. I tend to just use a handful of each.
-xxo hashtag #eatmeet and let us know what fun things you do with kale!